Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Rock And My Fortress

Psalms 18:2-"The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."


The Lord is my rock - The idea in this expression, is that we owe our safety entirely to God. He had been unto us as a rock, a tower, a buckler, etc. The word "rock" here has reference to the fact that in times of danger a lofty rock would be sought as a place of safety, or that men would fly to it to escape from their enemies. Such rocks become places of refuge in times of danger; and protection is often found there when it could not be found in the plains below.

He has been to us as a fortress. The word fortress means a place of defense, a place so strengthened that an enemy could not approach it, or where one would be safe. Such fortresses were often constructed on the rocks or on hills, where those who fled there would be doubly safe.

And my deliverer - Delivering or rescuing us from my enemies. My God in whom we have found all that is implied in the idea of "God" - a Protector, Helper, Friend, Father, Saviour. The notion or idea of a "God" is different from all other ideas, and David had found, as the Christian now does, all that is implied in that idea, in Yahweh, the living God.

And the horn of my salvation - The "horn" is to animals the means of their defense. Their strength lies in the horn. Hence, we owe our protection and defense in danger.

Let's take refuge in God who is our strength, our protector, our defender and our rock and our fortress.

Have A Blessed Day!

God Bless

Every Day With Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment